Saturday, October 22, 2011

Painting Through Pain

Painting Through Pain



Freda Kaylo is amongst the most famous artists of the twentieth century. Her strength of spirit and artistic talents helped forge her destiny. She mixed and mingled with the rich and powerful and the poor and destitute. She lived a life in chronic pain. She was. She is. Frida Kahlo.

Frida was born in Coyocan, Mexico to Wilhem (Guillermo) and Matilde Kahlo in July of 1907. Her father, a photographer and amateur painter, built a home for his family there that now houses her work. It is painted a cheerful bright blue color, and is known as La Casa Azul. At the young age of 6, Frida contracted polio and was bedridden for nine months. As a result of this illness, Frida was called “Peg Leg” by her peers; this unkind term though, did not demure the spirited youngster, it encouraged her to get stronger in sports and in life.

Being the precocious child she was, Frida enrolled in the renowned National Preparatory School in Mexico City. Here, she developed a love of her Mexican culture, its traditions, and its colorful costumes and jewelry. She also developed her political and ideological ideals which eventually led to her membership in the Mexican Communist party and the Young Communist League. It was also the place that she met her future husband, renowned Mexican muralist, Diego Rivera. Membership in the political clubs also went on to form her future on the international stage, as she hosted Leon Trotsky in her home and espoused his ideals.

In 1925 Frida was involved in a devastating bus accident that left her with fractures all over much of her body, including her spine and pelvis. It took a lifetime of surgeries and pain to recover from this accident, but it was this tragedy that unleashed her surreal painting style that would make her famous.

During her lifetime, Frida mainly painted self portraits because, as she stated, “I am the person I know best.” Her paintings transcend the macabre to the beautiful and tell of events in her life as well as the thoughts flowing through her mind. In her work, we are able to learn of her pain, her suffering, her love, and her hope. Painting was something she could do standing up, but more importantly, laying down in her bed. She used art as a means to escape her physical body, even if for short bursts of time. Her canvas was truly her voice, one that is still heard throughout the world. She was. She is. Frida Kahlo.

I can relate to her pain. I had back surgey several years go and have titanium cages supporting my spine where a disc use to be! They are called ray cages. My back doesn't hurt as bad as it did before the surgery, but when the weather changes I can sure let you know.

Just thought I'd share this story today. You might look upmsome of Freda's paintings. They are very colorful and true to her heritage.

Check out this website dedicated to Freda Kaylo:
Fans of Freda Kaylo
Courtesy Belief Network.

Since I didn't get to paint these past few days, that doesn't mean I wasn't studying. I visited so many artists blogs that I ended up following them and posting their blogs on mine. Check out these artists blogs, they have so much to offer and learn from. Living in a small town I don't get to take lessons or go to classes that often, but I learn from other artists. They inspire and motivate me. I can't wait for morning to come and get started! I hope to have some paintings to post for you to enjoy tomorrow!

I posted this painting of her Watermelons. Maybe I need to go back and work on mine a little!

Freda's:


Mine: LOL as if you wouldn't know that

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: